But while I drive safe, my commute is only 20 minutes each way and every single day, I always see people do dumb things, and it's not just drivers, it's pedestrians too.
I felt the need to vent my frustration at these idiots. Here's my list of assholes that needs to learn to be safe:
- If I'm on a two lane road with vehicles in front of me waiting single file near a four-way stop, it's rude and disrespectful to pass me and the other cars by driving on the curbside that's designated for street parking. On one evening on my way home, a SUV decided to jump the line by passing nearly a dozen cars waiting single file through a four-way stop. I noticed, opened my right window and yelled at the driver: "YOU SON OF A BITCH BASTARD!"
- If I'm driving the speed limit and you honk at me, flash your high beams, or tailgate me to drive faster, I won't. Do that to me twice, here comes "the bird."
- Don't cut me off, especially if you are too late to be in the wrong lane for an exit or designated turn lane. Just take the exit/turn and go around. I nearly got into an accident after a dump truck cut me off trying to pull a last second turn.
- If you drive in rain or fog during the day, use your evening headlights. It's not just the law, it's basic courtesy because it's hard to see your headlights and taillights in poor visibility.
- If you feel you can't make a full u-turn without the need to stop and back-up, then go around the block. You hold up traffic if you can't fully complete that u-turn in one shot.
- There's a reason why the city installed countdown timers on crosswalk signals, if the countdown is happening and you haven't started crossing, JUST DON'T. You don't have three damn seconds to cross four lanes of traffic. There's a reason why there's a countdown, it gives drivers a chance to make a turn and gives pedestrians already crossing to pace themselves to make sure to complete the crossing before it hits zero.
- If you drive your car on a bike lane, you just suck.
- People who pass a stopped Muni metro vehicle or Cable Car that is discharging and boarding passengers.
- Please press the pedestrian crossing button to cross. In some intersections, the signals intentionally give extra time to cross the street if you press the button (e.g. Winston & Lake Merced). If you don't press it, instead of getting 15 seconds to cross, you might get less than five.
- Please don't risk your life trying to run for the bus by committing an illegal act like crossing against the red light/crosswalk signal or run in front of the moving bus to make it stop. Another bus will come along shortly.