Are you planning to attend Commencement tomorrow at SF State University? It's time for some helpful tips from this two time graduate (M.A. and B.A.).
- 2009 is a special year, especially for you locals who want to see a baseball legend; WILLIE MAYS!
- 8,515 degrees will be awarded, another record for the university.
- Come to campus really early. All campus food venues are open for breakfast.
- If you park, do come early. The campus garage will fill-up.
- Take public transportation if it is possible. The 18-46th Avenue, 17-ParkMerced, 28-19th Avenue, 29-Sunset, and M-Ocean View serves the campus. Samtrans passengers should take the 122 bus.
- Tickets are required to attend. No ticket? Go online and watch the program.
- Traffic will be a mess for a couple of hours after the event. If you drive, be prepared for delays and have alternate routes planned.
You have your purple cap and gown... so what happens?
- Assuming the fog comes in tomorrow morning: Ladies, it is not recommended to wear high heels due to the grass on the field.
- Tennis shoes works perfectly fine for everyone, and the official photographers don't shoot below your knees.
- There's a decent amount of walking involved and that includes the field grass.
- You'll sit for a good few hours, so bring along a bottle of water. In 2006, the TV media filmed a graduate playing with his PSP.
- Some have left in the middle of the program and brought back a pizza or two.
- Bring your camera! It may be the last time you'll see your friends.
- When lining up, if you want to sit next to your friends or colleagues, remember to line up next to each other.
- Leis and other flowers are sold around various parts of campus. Check Costco for flowers too.
- Bring a seat cushion with you. Stadium seating is on wooden benches or plastic folding chairs. Extra cushions are typically sold at the campus bookstore.
- If you don't have a ticket, try the campus bookstore's wait list.
- Be prepared for cold and warm weather. If the sun breaks out over Cox Stadium, the temperature will rise sharply.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Vendors around the stadium will sell beverages. Food and drink are available at nearby established locations, including the Student Center.
- It will be a huge sea of purple out there, so trying to locate your graduate will be tough. Set-up a meeting spot before you split-up for the day.