While everyone under the governor's rule is now furloughed three times a week, the UC system has an odd furlough system where depending on your salary, you are forced to take a certain amount of furlough time, and CSUs are planning for 24 days for the next ten months for everyone.
One ironic thing about furloughs is that while the government is saving money, for the individual, they are not making money, and actually spending money. In the end, you are losing out on more of your income, but at least your tax dollars are feeding the budget hellhole.
What would you do if you were furloughed?
Here's what I would do and spend very little:
- Use my membership at the California Academy of Sciences.
- Go to Costco and get some free samples and a $1.50 hot dog.
- Ride Muni to somewhere scenic (I'm getting a Translink Fast Pass this September!)
- Go for a matinee at the movies.
- I've got some DVDs I haven't even opened.
- Go to the King Tut exhibit since I have vouchers from Costco (they are still available).
- Venture out and do some amateur photography and why not piss-off Muni fare inspector #32?
- Alcatraz? That's too expensive.
- Get a free mocha at McDonald's on Mondays.
- Cheap seats at the Giants game.
- Stare at Bushman on the Wharf.
- Go complain at the Board of Supervisors or the SFMTA meeting.
- Attend some oddball protest.
- More blogging at Akit's Complaint Department.
- Where's the next county fair? San Mateo?
- Sign-up to be a poll worker for the city on election day (not a bad deal to make some money).
- Visit "Oak Land."
Here's what some of my colleagues said:
- Go fishing.
- Go snowboarding in the winter.
- Play video games.
- Visit friends.
- Go to Dublin.
- Ice skating.