We are just a couple of months away from the major transition of all Muni "A" paper passes being converted to Clipper cards only. This could mean the public and Clipper are well prepared for the big change, or will go totally nuts by being unprepared.
One of my big rules, always be prepared, and that means to get ready early for the big change. If you currently use a paper "A" Fast Pass, now is the time to get that ball rolling.
Here's a list of items you should plan for:
- Obtain a card now, not later. If by some odd reason your retail location or a giveaway location runs out of the cards days before the November 1st transition, you are screwed.
- If you use commuter benefits and get your paper pass mailed to you, ask your HR department or appropriate area how to modify your benefits.
- Not all locations that sell paper passes will convert to selling Clipper based media (I already noticed one in the Castro). Start researching locations where you can add Clipper passes and e-cash. If use paper commuter vouchers, go to Walgreens, they will accept them.
- Once you get your card, register it immediately. It will definitely be worth the $5 replacement fee if you ever lose your card.
- Lastly, learn how to use the card properly. I've provided an excellent guide on everything you need to do.